Allergy and Skin Care for Pets at Nall Hills Animal Hospital in Overland Park, KS
If your pet suffers from any type of allergy and skin care problems, you should seek the guidance of Dr. Goodyear our trusted veterinarian at Nall Hills Animal Hospital in Overland Park, KS. Dr. Goodyear has been a veterinarian for over 33 years; she has been one of the two owners of Nall Hills Animal Hospital, since 1989.
Symptoms of Allergies & Skin Care Problems
Symptoms can range from mild to severe. In some cases, you may not realize your pet has an allergy, you may suspect something entirely different. For example; it is common for dogs to develop an ear infection when their allergies flare up.
Any animal is more likely to get a skin infection from chewing or scratching at the skin that itches. Regardless of how your pet reacts when you notice something is going on with them, you should take them to see Dr. Goodyear, or a veterinarian at Nall Hills Animal Hospital in Overland Park, KS just to have them examined.
- Itchy skin (skin tears from scratching or biting)
- Itchy and watery eyes
- A runny nose or stuffy nose
- Inflammation (swelling)
- Skin infections
- Redness, swelling, and inflammation at the site if allergic to bees or certain bug bites
- Chewing paws
- Shaking head/ scratching ears
If your furry family member is known to have an allergy to a specific food or environmental allergen it may escalate the more they eat or are exposed to it, which can cause anaphylactic shock (a life-threatening condition). If this ever happens to get your pet to a Veterinarian in Overland Park.
Treatment Plan for Allergies and Skin Care
Pets are just as susceptible to allergies and skin care problems as humans are, our pets can be allergic to any number of allergens – their symptoms can be mild to severe. The treatment plans that Dr. Goodyear or a Veterinarian in Overland Park creates is based on the type of allergy (if known), the severity of the allergy, the severity of the skin care problems caused by the allergy, and any secondary complications such as infections caused by tearing of the skin or ear infections.
Medications for Allergies & Skin Care Problems
- Antibiotics for skin infections, ear infections, other infections caused by a bacterial or fungal infection entering an open wound caused by scratching or biting.
- Allergy medicine can also be prescribed to help lessen the symptoms always ask Dr. Goodyear before hiding a human allergy pill in your pets’ food!
- Pain medication to ease discomfort
- In severe cases, allergy shots can be considered
There is a lot that Dr. Goodyear or a Veterinarian in Overland Park must take into consideration before treatment can begin. The first step is getting your furry family member to the Nall Hills Animal Hospital in Overland Park, KS for an examination. You can contact us at (913) 341-8836 to set up an appointment.