Tips for Puppy and Kitten Care to raise a healthy pet
Got a new puppy or kitty? Make sure to line-up an evaluation with your veterinarian at Nall Hills Animal Hospital in Overland Park early to ensure your pet is healthy and happy.
Here are Some Tips for Puppy and Kitten Care
Puppies are the perfect companion for individuals and big families. They require a commitment and responsibility but will be your best friend in no time.
- Supplement their diet. It is important to start puppies out with a wholesome and healthy diet. This includes kibble, naturally.
- Get them moving. Puppies with energy can wreak havoc; make sure that your dog gets plenty of exercises to reduce destructive behaviors in the home.
- Seek veterinary attention. Take your puppy to the veterinarian in Overland Park for preventative care. They will be able to detect and identify any potential health issues with your pet.
- Socialize your puppy. Begin socializing your pet immediately. Get them used to being around other dogs, cats, and people. Start the habit of taking them to the dog park to exercise and engage with other pets.
Be calm and firm when attempting to adjust behaviors with your new puppy. Training them patiently now will pay-off later in an obedient and dependable dog.
Kittens and cats are excellent companions that are both loving and independent. This makes them a wise choice for individuals that are busy and unable to commit to a lot of training time.
- Make sure they are old enough. You should never separate kittens from their mother before they are 8 weeks of age.
- See the vet. As with puppies, kittens also require preventative care to stay well.
- Give a treat. Reward good behavior that you observe with a treat.
- Get them acclimated to you. Kittens benefit from getting accustomed to being handled and being around other pets.
While cats are a bit more independent, it is possible to train them with patience- and a pocket full of treats!
Thinking about getting a puppy or a kitten? We can help you raise a healthy pet.
There is nothing like the companionship of a dog or cat. Take your new puppy or kitten to Nall Hills Animal Hospital in Overland Park, (913) 808-3181, for an examination and evaluation to ensure they are well and healthy.