National Poison Prevention From Our Veterinarian
Accidentally ingesting poison is a serious problem for humans--and for our pets too. At Nall Hills Animal Hospital in Overland Park KS, we hope this awareness will help you consider the poisons in your home and how you can keep them away from your furry friends.
These common household products might not seem harmful to you, but they could poison your pets.
- Antifreeze: The Humane Society estimates that 90,000 animals die every year from consuming antifreeze. Pets often drink antifreeze because of its sweet taste.
- Human Medicine: According to the ASPCA's Animal Poison Control Center, some of the most harmful human medicines for pets include pain relievers such as ibuprofen, acetaminophen, and naproxen.
- Cleaning Products: Strong cleaners such as ammonia, bleach, and all-purpose sprays can be toxic to cats and dogs.
- Essential Oils: Diffusing certain types of essential oils can harm pets. Examples include tea tree, oregano, clove, cinnamon, and lavender.
- Batteries: Dogs often eat small batteries, which can harm their mouths and stomachs.
- Plants: The Humane Society has identified more than 700 common plants that are poisonous to pets.
- Some Human Foods: Examples include chocolate, grapes, onions, and alcohol.
Veterinary Tips for Keeping Pets Safe from Poisons
Most importantly, keep potential poisons out of pets' reach. Install pet-proof cabinet locks or store dangerous items up high. Purchase antifreeze that has a bitter taste. Most importantly, evaluate your pet's environment and take steps to eliminate potential hazards.
Contact Us Today
If you know or suspect your pet has been exposed to poison, it's important to contact your veterinarian immediately. If your veterinary office isn't open, contact an emergency veterinarian or call the Pet Poison Helpline at (855)764-7661 or ASPCA Poison Control at (888)426-4435.
Here at Nall Hills Animal Hospital in Overland Park KS, we’re looking out for your pets. If you're looking for a friendly, reliable veterinarian in Overland Park, contact us today to schedule your appointment.